"The seeing-eye, the beating wing, the bird that laughs at everything.
Misunderstood by everyone, who can not see all things as one".

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Woodpecker Medicine.












A Downy Woodpecker was munching happily away at a suet feeder, when for no apparent reason, it fell asleep.
Head tucked under its wing, it did not respond when I approached for a closer look.
Eyes closed, it failed to notice as I stroked it, gently dislodged it from the feeder and carried it away to a safer place.
The Sharp Shinned Hawk I rescued only yesterday has now taken up residence, and a very small sleeping woodpecker was clearly not going to survive very long.
I settled the bird on a covered rafter and kept watch for more than an hour.
Finally I picked it up again to see if it was showing signs of life.
It slowly awoke, stretched, blinked, scratched a bit and explored my fingers.
Without any sign of alarm or discomfort, it carefully defecated after ensuring it would not soil its perch, fluttered its wings for a moment, and flew strongly away into the forest.
Mysteriously mystical.
Woodpecker medicine tells me interesting and relevant secrets...

No comments:

Post a Comment